A Thread of Fate

Session 1

Then it Began

Sages, cartographers, and explorers once wrote extensively regarding the area long known as the Fallen Lands—a last remnant of Netheril that once lay along the western edge of the desert known as Anauroch. Then the Spellplague came, thrusting this area into great upheaval and leaving much of this territory shrouded in mystery.

✦ Somewhere near the center of the Fallen Lands stands Stormkeep, a mysterious castle surrounded by magical squalls of electricity that never dissipate.

✦ Orcs and goblins live in scattered bands throughout the region. They mostly war against each other, though different tribes occasionally unite under a singlebanner to raid over the Graypeaks and strike the frontier communities of the Gray Vale.

✦ Travel by day is reasonably safe, although particularly bold bandits sometimes menace travelers who don’t appear capable of defending themselves.

✦ Some explorers speak of a site known as the Plateau of the Reverse Obelisks, which they say is safe to approach and travel through by day. In fact, the denizens of the Fallen Lands grant this area a wide berth, making it perhaps the safest part of the journey to Spellgard. However, it is unwise (if not downright foolhardy) to make camp or spend the night anywhere near this place.

✦ Spellgard lies atop a ridge at the eastern edge of the Fallen Lands. Its ruins are visible from miles away on a clear day.

✦ Spellgard was once known as Saharelgard, a great fortress of ancient Netheril. It is home to Lady Saharel, a ghost who has the gift of prophecy and insight. She speaks of the future or the past to anyone who chances upon her in the Spellgard ruins.

✦ At the edge of Spellgard stands the Monastery of the Precipice. Treasure-hunters and seekers.

the PC’s Meet in a tavern in the city of Llorkh. They travel with a caravan to Spellgard

Comments

So here is the Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide (downloadable): here

You can start looking at the regional adventurer character motivations for where you might want to be from. Don’t add the regional benefits yet because I will probably change them. Just pick a place that makes sense for your roleplaying/background. And as far as information, your character is assumed to know all the info from your titled region in the book.

Session 1
 

and here is the map of Faerun (or at least most of it): here

Session 1
 

Mike, can you invite Asimov to the campaign? Cuz I’d rather not have to re-make him over on this one.

Session 1
 

You have to go to edit character under asimov then click the PC dropdown box then pick this campaign

Session 1
 

thx for the map and books. looks like we have some work to do too. can my guy have some serious workingman hands too?

Session 1
 

oh and i thought we were gonna name this one the Epic caravan failure.

Session 1
 

Well the name of the campaign is TBA, but the adventuring party name is entirly up to you all. This campaign could go epic… so maybe “epic caravan” for the group name could be good as well.

And yes you may have workmens hands as well. Create the character you imagine the Half-elf Inspiring Commander to be. Oh yea don’t forget you can pick your other half, as long as its not too strange and the other half is humanoid. Eg. half-elf, half-tiefling possibility. Remember, you will qualify for what ever racial feats they have.

Oh and as far as research. You don’t {have} to do any beyond knowledge of ones own home region, but as I said before their only boundries in my campaign are not killing each other (too much). So having more knowledge of the world, that your character could learn would be beneficial to RP, to Money Making, to Storyling, to Item getting, to ECC of monster, etc, etc.

Have fun~

Session 1
 

Soooo…. the smarter I become, the better I’ll do? Shit. Oh, and Mike, in case you haven’t bothered to check, I responed to your question about the LAN on the Master’s page.

Session 1
 

YAY. i am a conditioned construction worker like i have always wanted to be. I would love to go epic. that would be so cool. i have never gone beyond maybe 10th in a single campaign starting at a low level. so… half elf half owl bear is out of the question then. damn. zombies are humaniod right?

Session 1
 

a graft will kill you in less than two months, but yes they are humanoid

Session 1
 

Get those Characters online you bitches…

Session 1
 

In case we decide we must have a defender, O’Grom’s little brother Mo stopped by to tell you guys he’d be happy to lift his shield for y’all. The two don’t really get along though, so one would probably leave if the other stayed.

Session 1
 

Dammit. I was starting to like O’Grom….

Session 1
 

He’s not packing it up for sure. Just depends on what the group needs. If the chubby half-elf thinks he can tank the heat… get it?, Mogrim will deliver his message and O’Grim will tell his little bro to get bent: There’s treasure in them there hills.

Session 1
 

What’s your AC Bengali? and look for Mogrim to join the ranks of campaign NPCs soon.

Session 1
 

JoJa – filling up your inbox since 2008 – also recommends checking out the character generator at D&D insider. the demo version lets you create characters up to 3rd level and is a great way to A) make sure its legal, and B) make sure you’re picking powers and options from every available source, i.e. from books you might not have. I’m looking at you Curt.

Session 1
 

Joja had to make my own Morgrim wouldn’t let me switch back correctly.

Yea char creat is a good tool

So as far as my scheduele. I am willing to do a session the weekend provided that we have at least 2/3’s of the people show up. Next weekend, the weekend of the 14th we I will be at home with my Dad. And the weekend after that, the 21st I believe I am free as well.

Session 1
 

I’m free all weekends until the 7th for that LAN (which everyone is still invited to if you’re interested in!) Josh, thanks for reminding me about the armor, I wasn’t sure what kind I was going to get so I left it blank. It’s 14 (only leather armor, sadly)

Session 1
 

Should be AC 15, +2 leather, +2 int, +1 half-lvl

& you mean March 7th right

GAME INFO: Each person should pick a region to be from as well as a forgotten realms god, primordial, or exarch. Backstories are appreciated and possibly woven into the game.

Session 1
 

Damn. forgot about half level. I was trying not to pull a Gravendarr and add all sorts of things to my scores out of nowhere and here I go NOT adding shit I should be. lol. Yeah, March 7th. Again, check out the forum, or at least that last page I gave ya.

Session 1
 

Seeing how O’Grim and Morgrim are from Mithril Hall, I guess that makes them from the Lurour region, which is a lot closer than I at first thought. And I will not be there this weekend because I work on Sunday. Have fun all.

Session 1
 

OK I lied, there is just too much work for me to catch up on for me to DM or play this weekend. My excellent procrastinating has finally caught up with me, now it is make or break time, and breaking means a lowering of GPA, and that is just not an option. I regret having to do this but I may yet be able to have a game Mid-afternoon on Sunday the 21st. I will let you all know as soon as I know.

Aaron if you must be mad at something. Be mad at post-enlightement philosophy, because it is like 50% of the reason I’m behind. I have a 3,000 word paper due soon on the post-enlightenment philosophy topic of my choice. Josh? wana do a little extra writing, I hear your pretty good at that sort of thing?

Curt, Hayden I assume for that you just got done reading how the game might be this weekend like 45 seconds ago, so I feel less bad about having lied to you two :)

Session 1
 

cool cool. no worries man. i am free the 21st. or at least should be. i dont oft make plans that far in advance. Ballreich is the man. he can handle some heavy fighting if he needs too. I will just make sure to take feats and shit that make him better up front and less of a group helper. if u wanna be a fighter. feel free. i am not gonna stop you, but for the record… ballreich has been through alot. he is a conditioned worker as well as fighter.

Secondary thought. are you allowed to multiclass in 4th? is that even worth it. i donno how that shit works. that is if you guys are really worried bout my character taking the damage for everyone

Session 1
 

oh and i obviously own all the 4th ed books. please. i got a whole library. haha

Session 1
 

no, u cant multiclass. the best u can do is take multiclass feats which let u swap one thing of ur class w/ one of theirs depending on the level. prob not worth it.

Session 1
 

oh. k. well whatever. not worries.

okay. are we still looking for another player. i got a friend who has played 3.5 for a couple years, and who played 4th like three times. so he is not new, but is still adjusting to 4th ed. he is interested in playing, but he doesn’t want to play a meat shield. i told him it did not really mater, and that we would work it out whatever he wanted to be, but he is def interested in playing, and he is more role playing oriented than me, or hayden, but like i said he is not used to the 4th ed system. so do you guys want me to invite him, or has the spot been filled.

Session 1
 

No that would be fine about your friend just tell him to talk to me on obsidian first.

As far as multi-classing yes there is, but not in the same way. It involves taking feats, but remember whatever you are trying to do with your character (especially if it fills a niche) I will facilitate happen. ex. Giving a warlock who wants to be a rogue-ish sniper the ability to get a +2 stealth when standing still through item or alternate abilities.

Oh and if you go to scribd.com you can download almost all the book for free.

Session 1
 

“Ballreich is the man. he can handle some heavy fighting if he needs too.” No-no, he must take A LOT of heavy fighting. lol. Meat. Shield. lol. The Dwarf might be able to take some, the halfling none, and myself… well, I have a high CON so I “could” take some, but seeing as how I’m a pyro (set things on fire and then run away) I’m thinking me taking blows to the face for a living is not so much this character’s style. However, if we end up finding that we truely DO need a defender, I’ll make one. I know Josh offered, but his character (and accompaning stool) are pretty cool. My guy has potential, as do all of my characters, but if I had him leave Mike wouldn’t have to worry about coming up with something to do with my family. If needed, I’d make a Gravendarr 2.0. Only less scaly and more taking advantage of Mike’s “be whatever you want” rule. shrugs whatever you guys want. I just want to play. (Damn you Mike and your “skool”)

Session 1
 

I’m sorry, but no one needs (finger quotes) to be a defender. Ease of combat is nice though, and people benefit from defenders. There are three that the book gives: Fighter, Paladin, Swordmage. Still play what you enjoy, if you enjoy having a well balanced team who beats down my planned encounters with ease, then you will want a defender. But if its more important to you to have sexy moves (moves that you find schwwweeet) then play what you like. Be a +1 scarf… IDK.

ps- Next weekend is still a possibility so don’t get too lax on: character creation, backgrounds, God/Exarch choice, or Region Choice. I would like to have at least an idea of the things I’m working with by mid-next-week.

ALL the books, all you have to do is join (free and no-spam) and then download scribd

Session 1
 

what if i switched to a paladin? i am looking at them and like them ALOT. it actually fits more like what should be. they are already proficient with plate. and they are focused more with up front combat. that is what i am working on anyway. that would solve our problems/worries about a melee based character. it would be the exact same character in terms of role-playing, i would not even have to change my armor or weapons. whatchu guys think?

Session 1
 

Oh, a SwordMage sounds wicked sweet. Curt, you said your new guy (that sounds gay…) didn’t want to be a meat shield, do you know what he did want to be? because a Swordmage… Hmmm… I never thought a “mage” anything would be a meat shield, but then again I’m stupid. lol.

and Mike, as for “needing” a defender, I simply meant that if we start getting our ass handed to us, then maybe it would be best if a defender replaced our sour, ill-tempered warlock. that’s all I was saying.

Session 1
 

seriously how much more fitting can it get. Half elf half dwarf paladin of moradin. “Moradin is the god of creation and patrons of artisans, especially miners and smiths.” that is like an exact description of my guy now.

Session 1
 

Its up to you, pallies are nice. I would like that everyone is solidified in what they want to be by next week. Also I should note that the book Martial Power has new things for the warlord.

Session 1
 

ya i looked at those. i downloaded it today. okay. i made my paladin in the generator. and it is solid. writing a history right now. thinking of being from either narfell or waterdeep.

Session 1
 

Those are good, just dont choose based on the regional bonuses, because I probably won’t use them.

Session 1
 

okay. well. whatever. i dont really care bout benefits/ where i am from. i kinda like the idea of the cold north though.

Session 1
 

oh and my character is up. sorry i keep posting shit

Session 1
 

Nah, you post as much or as often as you want. We tend to have a hard time getting people to speak up on this thing somethings, so its good to see someone other than myself and Mike talk.

Session 1
 

Very true.

Session 1
 

okay. well then i will add that i have added more on my history. still working on it though. if anyone has anything else that i need to keep in mind lemme know. also. how important is the actuall city and region and all that. i have been looking at the map, and i cant find the place we at right now. so where is it? like central, east?

Session 1
 

Netheril next to the big cut in the earth called Deep Maw. Northwest

Session 1
 

where you all are is actually on the boarder of 3 countries. Evereska, Lurar, and Netheril

Session 1
 

Marik, er Curt, er… Ballreich. Love the new beefer you. I’ll keep the artificer rocking. Aaron, stay a fire starter.

One suggestion for our new Tankadin, however (that means beefy paladin) Pick up a +1 Craghammer (from adventurer’s vault) instead of warhammer. It’s same damage and proficiency, and is also versatile in case you drop shield, but it’s brutal 2! That means when you role for damage, you reroll any roll of a 1, or 2. Which is awesome. P.S. any reason you took an amulet instead of +1 armor?

Session 1
 

P.S. yeah, Lurar.. yeah, that’s where the Foehammer brothers are from.

Session 1
 

P.P.S. Rereading over Ballreich’s sheet reminded me of my favorite quote from this campaigns first session…”I have a shovel.” That should be your answer to everything. Good NPC says: “We need to defend this town” I have a shovel, i.e. lets work together to fortify the defenses Bad NPC says “I’ll get you my pretty and you’re little halfling too” I have a shovel, i.e. Let’s bury this bitch!

Session 1
 

swiss army knife = multi-purpose tool

shovel = -purpose tool

Session 1
 

Shovel? Reminds me of another quote “A friend will help you move. A REAL friend will help you move a body. Let me know if I ever need to bring a shovel.” Ball apparently knew what kind of group he was getting into, so brought the shovel before we even had to ask. lol.

And yeah, I think I’ll stay a fire-starter as well, Josh. I was thinking it over, and while I still dont’ mind, I like the idea of making things go boom. However, if Curt’s new guy (still sounds gay) really, REALLY would like to be a Warlock, I have a Spellscarred Defender in my mind right now simmering in the mix that I could roll up. When are we playing again?? As of right now, I’m still fiery, but as long as you give me a day or two before we actually play, I can make my basher if it comes to it.

Session 1
 

um yea no spellscared… Sorry, no plaguing yourself to get extra powers…

Jeez people settle on a class, is no one attached to their characters yet? I’m just going to kill you all each 2 weeks so you can make all these new characters.

PS- Josh I was thinking about switching Oskilar out for a bard is that cool… jk

Session 1
 

tell hayden to get lazy arse on the board and post his char. he’s got the super 3g phone…

Session 1
 

Oh I like Asimov quite a bunch, but I’m always willing to sacrifice for overall teamplay. However, now that my defender can’t be as badass…. heh. I think I’ll stay Asimov for sure now. That’s right bitches, hide all your flamable shit cuz it’s gonna get HOT really quick-like.

Session 1
 

and yeah, where the fuck is Hayden?

Session 1
 

Looking over Curt’s char, I’d say he’s going to be meat-shieldtastic. So let’s all stick to our characters. this is just starting to get fun. P.S. So the weekend of the 21st is next game, yes? and is Curt’s new gay friend playing?

Session 1
 

P.P.S. How about a map of the area around Spellgard? With the camps written in. I think that’s going to be our next step. Asking some questions, killing some Kobolds, you know the drill.

Session 1
 

Marik: Nice job on the Char. Sheet. Good well rounded defender. Background looks like its nearing completion, yey. You must pick elven or dwarven as your 2nd language though.

Aaron: Still to far off for me to tell about march. DM recommended feat for Asi: Imp. Dark one’s blessing. god?... region?... put in Bstory. You can only have one +2 magic item or two +1 items. right now you have two +2items… Darr. AC will change depending on what you choose

Joja: Do my philosophy paper. Arty looking good. Write for a newspaper. Background could still use some more. god?...

Speede: Get ur damn shit together

Game: I will try to post the maps from Spellguard. Also If you all want to do some RP-ing/Info Gathering, I am up for doing that online. However, I will have to make your rolls. Example: Were still at the Monastary… for the next couple of hours I want to case the main hall, if any non-seekers come in, I might want to talk to them about what they know.

Session 1
 

If you’re referring to my leather armor as being the second item (the first being my Pact sword) then no – I put the +2 so i could keep track of how much armor it gave me. I’m trying NOT to be Gravendarr this time so I’m trying to keep track of all my shit. If you want, for clarity, I can put in parenthesis. As for my feat, that’s one of the one’s of my “to get” list, but I took the Human Perserverance to up my Defenses since I’m rather week. I switched around my STR and WIS like you recommended so I only need one more point in STR (i think) before I can get better armor, though I’ll check that to be sure. Regardless, as I only have 3gp right now, I’m going to have to wait for a bit to get it as that caravan ride through hell busted all my moneys….

Session 1
 

In that case I would reccomend: hide prof. & dark one’s blessing

Session 1
 

As for RP-ing, Josh was trying to convince me to join with you guys and I was being a dick because I hate life at the moment. Not sure how you go about RP-ing that since there’s a certian… atmosphere I want to surround Asimov. lol. shrugs whatever, right?

Session 1
 

Map of Spellgard here

Spellgard is about 2 miles by 1 mile big

Map of the Monastery here

Session 1
 

yea I’m a good artist

Session 1
 

cool. my new ?gay? friend is not playing actually. sorry guys. he has the next month and a half all occupied, and he does not want to start by not being there. the paladin is just as gay as his predecessor the warlord becasue they are the exact same (RP) character. I am not satisfied with my history yet. but it is enough that i can suffice with. I am the new coolest guy in my suite though cuz apparently 4 of the people i live with played dnd before, and they are all checking in on my character, and all that. found it funny. and my character as is… is in fact finished, and i am not changing. happy Verjaeger? i am okay with RP-ing online. gives us more time in the game to do the actual adventure. but i think i am gonna roll on my own 19, 17, 20, 20, 19. what? jk/ but i would be cool with that. my guy is working though. just to let you know. i wanna get him laid at some point though. it’ll be a religious experience for him.

Session 1
 

Thats ironic about the stuff with your friends. And yes I am happy

Ok I’ll write those rolls down (rolls eyes). Too bad about your friend, still there are 1-2 slots open if people want them. Like I said, relativly dedicated peoples only, and if they are RP-ers thats all the better. There will be lots of opportunities for the pen to be mighter than the sword.

Well thats two out of 4 that would be willing to RP. GL with the lady hunt you weird half-dwarf/elf man.

PS- In my campaign there will be times when you need to run… and that might be the challenge I had set up.

Session 1
 

heh. Gravendarr would always hate to run away from a fight. Asimov, however, will knock your ass over in his attempts to flee. It’s not that he’s not brave or anything, he just fancies himself better when he’s not all hacked and slashed. I mean, that’s why we have dwarfs, right? You notice in the bandit raid part of the caravan, he stayed right up there on the wagon, firing from behind cover. Expect a lot of that from this man…. lol.

Session 1
 

i did not know they had pens. are they ball points?

Session 1
 

well my dude cant really run that fast with all his armor, but i am sure we’ll be okay. ya i am the one supposed to take the hacks and slashes for you asimov.

Session 1
 

hi everyone! still alive, just busy. w/o my char posted u all will survive, i promise. ill get to it eventually, just have: a 7 page paper to revise, a 4 page paper to write and hopefully publish, 3 books to read, a presentation monday, and a case study for business. so ya’ll can chill. idk if we planned on playing this sunday, but if we do i cant b there. sry if this is brief and a little “attitude-y” but in a rush again, getting kind of used to it

Session 1
 

Well, glad to see you’re alive at least.

Session 1
 

damn… still alive

Session 1
 

sorry hayden. keep on keeping on. hahaa.

Session 1
 

Well for RP sake if anyone want to, either with each other or with other people around:

The Monastery at the Precipace is a fairly well kept inn/refuge for the various seekers. A large wooden door opens up into an even larger foyer/dinning hall. The kitchen is fully stocked (with the carvans help) and is ready for the picking. Lines of tables and chairs linneate the room, a small bar sits in the eastern side of the room while a man cleans a plate behind the counter. 5 people beside the bar-man sit in the dinning hall, 2 humans both dressed simple garb eat across from one another occasionally looking up from their food to chat. An eladrin sits quietly in the corner near a small self-made stack of books (the titles are in various languages). A tiefling sits a few chairs down from the humans, also eating noons meal, he takes frequent breaks from his meal to blatantly stare at whoever seems most interesting at the time. Finally an dwarf carrys a hefty load of assorted metals and wood supplies, you can hear the sound of a few things dropping from his hands as he walks into the cellar. Outside an elderly gentleman works his masonry skills to fill the gaps in a stone foundation, while a slightly younger man in similar cloths argues with Rolin about supply costs. Many sickly and downtrodden from the caravan have already fround their way to their rooms, but 4 remain, two you know to be Farrak and Harrak. A burly human and a robust half-elf greet the two with jokes and vigorous handshakes. The four talk and laugh as they exchange supplies from the caravan to the monastery and vice versa. Off in the distance you see the countless ruins of Saherelgard, most notably a the tower itself which seems almost untouched by the ravages of time. The foundation of what seems to be a carbon copy of the tower sit atop the hill next to the original. the outer ramparts are visible over the rolling hills of this land, most notablely the southeastern and northern ramparts seem most intact. Dozen of peoples dot the hillside, many in groups but a few are seen off by themselves. It seems to far to tell but some fo the figures look less than human in figure… no one seems roused by this. Finally you look up to the sky which seems tainted by the thin dark clouds, which line the air high above you… you reflect on how your life has brought you here.

Session 1
 

I belch, unconcerned, and continue eating. the dwarf(josh) keeps talking to me and the halfling(hayden) keeps eyeing said dwarf (since I have nothing of value for him to drool over)

Session 1
 

You didn’t speak for the stout half-elf. Well no one is alarmed by your belch.

Session 1
 

make a roll for me to c if i try to pickpocket josh, he has a lot of shinies! (dont worry josh, after the next adventure i would prob give anything back, i dont steal from friends. thats against guild rules…)

Session 1
 

well thx for not including me aaron. haha. ne way….

we already discused how i would be working the day away with my free food and ale. while working i want to talk to yannik about where i could be used around town, and maybe things that would concern adventuruers outside of town. on breaks i am gonna spend my time refilling the my tankard, and possibly talking to ferrak and harrak, and the two they are with. i want to find out anything i can about where the ghost chick died, where she was buried, and how that all ties back to the tower.

Session 1
 

do any of the kobolds ever come in to town? like attacking it of course. or do they just mind their own business?

Session 1
 

I don’t know Garrets modifiers yet? From the caravan journey you know that the kobold at spellgard have been there longer than the monastery. Who do you want to talk to?

Ballriech: If you talk to Yannik about it he will tell you that all he knows is that she was once a powerful wizard who aided Elminster (you know him to be a powerful wizard) with her gift, the rest he is not sure about. But he points over at the man argueing with Rolin and says “ask Allendi, he will know”

the Twins along with the half-elf continue to bring supplies in and out.

Session 1
 

The town which surronds the Monastery is made up of about 3-5 house structures. Depending on what you call a house. You know that roughly 45 people reside in this small community. More camp elsewhere surrounding the ruins, but never outside of it

Session 1
 

okay then. well i will talk with Allendi and Rolin. same questions.

Session 1
 

Marik walks up to the haggling two and stands as they debate the trade of supplies, they do not break their conversation

This a play-by-post sort of thing, if anyone has ever done that.

Session 1
 

Wow. You guys have been busy while I was working… Hmmm… Oh, and I didn’t mention Ballreich because Asimov doesn’t know where he is (nor does he care at the moment) I simply included Josh and Hayden’s characters because they were/are at the table with me. As for WHAT Asimov will do… he’s pretty noncommital right now. He was hoping this ghost lady would have been able to help him, but now that he’s heard that she’s gone he doens’t really know what to do and he hates not having a plan, so he’s a bit grumpy at the moment. If Josh (or one of the others) isnt’ able to convince him to join their cause, he might decide to venture around the encampment on his own for a bit, OR, take a gander at those books you mentioned before. shrugs I’ll see what Josh does first since my actions will be dependant on his. (as in, some RP-ing conversation, I think)

Session 1
 

the universe says OK

Session 1
 

ballreich exclaims “Excuse me gentleman, but allow me to settle this debate”

Session 1
 

The two turn, and in unison, shoot Ballreich in the face. Poor elf/dwarf paladin…. lol.

Session 1
 

Allendi will say good, I’m gald you can refresh his memory and tell him that it was two cases of house and one flagon of Thebbian for the first lot and one case and one flagon for the sencond weeks worth. Rolin will say no it was 4 cases for both and one flagon for the extra metals.

Session 1
 

Dammit, Josh. Where are you? I wants to RP! lol. sigh lol

Session 1
 

character up w/ history, might go back at some point and do the part b4 the astericks. once u read it you’ll laugh and kno wut im talkin about

Session 1
 

so can i steal some fucking stuff yet?! huh Mr. DM?!! haha jk

Session 1
 

i will side with whoever i think will know mroe about what i am looking for. i think that will be Allendi. that should get me on his good side, and give me some time to talk to him.

Session 1
 

lets see, alright lets roll…

As the dwarf speaks with Asimov, you purposfully slip a hand onto his hammer which falls to the ground. When he bends down to pick up the still clanging hammer you reach into one of his many stuffed pockets and reach for what you believe to a coin purse. Upon inspecting your swipings, the inside is squishy

your intelligence check lets you know it is a tanglefoot bag. Well I guess the answer is yes, you can steal some f**king stuff now. Sorry O’grim, mark it off. Total time taken 6 mintues of waiting for an opportunity 4 seconds to steal

ps- yea fix that char sheet, lolz. No you cannot be half…ling, unless you want to be half orc half ling or half elf half ling. But they become the dominate traits

Session 1
 

Marik says: I think he is right, I overheard you say it in the caravan (you didn’t overhear him, but he did talk about it)

Allendi says: See even your own guard say you are lying… He’s not my guard, if he was my guard he would have know to keep his mouth shut. Fine 3 & 1 for the supplies (the twin laugh at Rolin in a comical and slightly erie unison. Thank you lad… Well I better get this stuff inside but I hope you will be staying, I’ll give you the grand tour of my home ~ he walks away with an armful of papers and food

Session 1
 

and on that note we will wait for Joja to return.

Session 1
 

Why is none of this stuff going into my e-mail like last campaign? I didn’t think you guys were doing anything here. Anyway, when I find out one of my tanglefoot bags is missing, I’m gonna be pissed, but that’s only because its the best of my cc utility devices. It would be pretty funny if the Half-ling had failed his int. check, though and stuck his hand in there. That almost would have been worth having it stolen.

Ok “RPing”

By the way the light gleams in the Half-lings eyes every time I talk about treasure, I know I have him. It’s this stubborn human in rags I have to worry about now. Ever since my father died I realized that no amount of exploration and discovery is worth dying over, and have always sought to surround myself with powerful allies for my travels. Picking my hammer up off the ground I will pretend not to notice the small giggle that escapes the halfling’s lips. I wonder if he’s all there? I will again lament the fact that the ghost lady is going to be harder to find than I first thought. “But then again, as me father always said ‘Son, in this world Tymora looks after those who make their own luck’” I’ll look around the common room and drop my voice to a whisper. “And lets be honest travelers, who here looks like they know how to turn the tide of fortune their way? A bunch of meek ascetics and some sick pilgrims.” At this point I’ll look right at the human wizardly-guy and speak up. “I think if a group of bold adventurers were to delve deeper into that tower of hers, Ms Ghosty would have no choice but to grant us an audience. Then we’d get the answers to the questions we seek.” Now I shift to look at the halfling. “And a good bit o’ magical loot too, unless I’m mistaken.” Here, I’ll pause and then take a long draw off my ale. “Of course we could always hire on as caravan guards and spend the rest of our days ferrying the sick through the wilderness for a handful of copper and a few drinks in our bellies… That, of course, you gentlemen will have to decide for yourselves…”

I get up and head to the kitchen to make myself a meal. Humming to myself like a used wagon salesman as I go.

Session 1
 

Doesn’t show up if your not the DM, sorry… and yea he rolled a 19 on his int check

Game: You do know that if you don’t take this caravan then the next time someone will be up here is in a week.

Ok now that everyone has done something the story (time) can continue, and others can further progress. Just don’t want anyone to get too far behind. Reference the the first RP italics for relavent information.

Session 1
 

As Josh gets up and walks away, I half grunt, half sigh to myself. I’ve “joined” though I’m not happy about it. lol. Though, make me a roll to see if I saw the Ling-child do his swipe (cuz apparently Josh did. lol) If I did, then I eye the little bastard cautiously for a bit. Then, if he doesn’t do anything (or maybe even if he does) I’ll get up and wander the commonroom area for a bit. Eventually end up near that Eladrin and his… “self-made stack of books.” Does that mean he made the books himself, ie, he’s a writer/scholar, or he made the rack the books are ON himself. If nothing happens to hinder my eventual movement towards him, please describe him for me. Thanks.

Oh, and nice to see you finally joining us, Josh. lol.

Session 1
 

Josh did, O’Grim didn’t.

Session 1
 

Ah, well I must have misunderstoond how you said you were going to ignore “the giggle” from Ling.

Session 1
 

Yea I rolled for you and everybody else in the room got a passive, Asimov didn’t get it, but Aaron did. The eladrin just made a stack of books for himself to read, some look like they were taken from the selves in this room and some don’t.

The eladrin sits in the southeastern most corner of the room, reading casually from 3 books with various marking and forms of script in them, many look old some look new. A pipe sits slowly burning, the ocassional puff he takes lightly dusts around him. He seems to be divulged in his readings, never looking up. He would stand about 5’9”, a slender man in once brightly colored robes with leather strapping worn over. You do notice his eyes are black, but think nothing of it. As you approach he continues on in the same fashion.

Session 1
 

With a casual agreement Asimov sees the up-side of working as team, and is quick to move on to get his barrings in this new land

Session 1
 

im going to b happy at my “people-can’t-chase-me-even-if-they-see-me bag” and cheerily drink the rest of the day, following the trinket man if he would like me too. cant let someone kill him and get all his trinkets!

RP thought process: idk if i like some1 blasting things with magic, seems hard to dodge. Paladins and i have bad history, kord specifically, but idk wut curts god is yet (havent checked) so we’ll have to see…

Session 1
 

I dont’ think it’s Kord, but I’m not sure. Not gonna check myself either. lol.

This Eladrin was the same one Josh looked at and “was frightened of” before because of the eyes? Hmmm… lol. “What’s with ‘dem eyes, bitch?” lol. Oops. Asimov’s dead. reroll, please. lol. Actually, I will ask him where he managed to get that book (the oldish looking one) let’s see, something like this: “My, that book’s seen some age. Where did you manage to find something like that?” I will assume, because of his appearance, that he’s “fallen on hard times” like most of the others in this place.

Session 1
 

Moradin is his god, the Dwarf-father, father of creation, patron of artisans.

There are many old looking ones but I assume you will pick one (I want that one Papa!)

With a figure in front of him, the eladrin keeps on reading. when asked about his chosen piece of literature he points the 3 shelves of books that line the easternmost wall. The tiefling chuckles a deep laugh, but the Human warlock does not seem to notice. the Half-ling and Dwarf do… The few book which are written in the common tongue are a guide on exploration of tunnels, a fey creature anatomy book: open to an insectoid page, and a journal listing the channeling of lightning through metal: both magic and natural alike.

Session 1
 

Moradin sounds like an O’grim god too “seek out riches buried in the heart of the world”

Btw: no Kord in F.R., Tempus is the closest to kord

Session 1
 

Okay… snubbed by the Eladrin and laughed at by the Tiefling. I’m just making friends everywhere, huh? Do I get the impression that they are, like, together or something? Group-wise, that is. What’s the Tiefling look like? Will I have to pass by him to get to the book racks? Also, in case you didn’t see, I speak/read Elvish too, so that can make a difference in what I can understand him either saying or reading.

Session 1
 

Another book you see is written in elvish titles A Practical Guide to Faeries

The tiefling is dressed in monk garbs the eladrin is not.

A young tiefling sits at the center of a long table, he seems to be watching the people around him with a sense of interest. He has the swagger and air of superiority that most tieflings do.

Session 1
 

What do I come off as to others? I mean, do they know/think I’m a magic-user, or am I just a tattered begger-type to them? you know, until I set them on fire….

As for the book… are these the ones HE is reading, or some on the shelf? If I can, I’ll grab that Practial Guide and flip through it (oh! pictures!) and see if it’s read-worthy. Also, that exploration of tunnels book as well as the lightning channeling book. MMm…. studious activities! (and a character that actually knows what to do with them!)

Session 1
 

Oh, and why not some dice-play as well (to keep you busy, of course) Perception checks on the Tiefling and Eladrin to see if I can figure out what each of them are.

Session 1
 

thats general intelligence checks because in my campaigns I like to blur the lines between classes, because thats the way it is in real life. People are not as easily classified (both in the powers and mannerisms). Ex- The half-lind is no longer regarded as a rogue, but rogue-ish. Like-wise terms retain their general nature (especially to the un-informed), so someone who does un-explainable things with the world around them could be classified as a “wizard”.

Right now you come off as a bum with a Koepesh

Ok so lets roll… ... Between you and the tiefling to sense some tension, not so much tension with the eladrin. However for the eladrin you do get the sense that he could bend the weave to create… magic. Plus you notice he has a wand in his left breast pocket.

These are the ones that he is reading/stacked near him

Session 1
 

Okay, well I’m going to leave those two, making a mental note to try and kill them later, and head over to bookshelf – see what there is to see there.

Session 1
 

Three selves of books containing volumes of books from cooking to rituals to the gods stand tall on the westernmost wall of the Monastery. On the shelf one stands out as it is the only one that sits alone. Titled the “Analects of Kuryon”, the book looks worn and the many of corners have been folded in as to mark a place, this seems to have been done time and again.

and on that note we will wait for others, if they have input. Then we can begin Round 3 of RP! Game time is a few hours past high sun

PS- So I think the next time we can play is 21st/22nd? Is that going to work?

Session 1
 

It’s cool with me. Has anyone heard from Dev? Is he even interested in starting this new campaign? If he’s not, is somebody else going to be getting grub? Also, do you guys still want me to keep getting ice, because the last few times no one has really touched it. Also, I keep getting Dew, Pepsi, and Rootbeer. If you guys ever want something different, let me know as I personally have no preference.

RP-wise: I’ll grab that Kuryon book once everyone has commented and done their part.

Session 1
 

okay well if he will show me around i will follow, assuming i still have time to talk (work and all). and i will ask him about the many things that entail the ghost, see if anyone is going to trek over there. i will talk to him about the work i amdoing to create some repore too. see if i can get on his good side. seems like an important guy. can i buy anything good from him. discount perhaps. do i hear/know about any of the recent developments in the common area. if so then after my tour/information acclimation i would like to volunteer my services to the dwarf. being that he is of common religion and similar heritage. i will inform him that i can stand by his side, or more importantly in front of him assuming the road will get tough.

Session 1
 

i love food. btw. i can eat whatever, whenever. the pop is fine. i like dew and RB most. and i dont care bout the ice. doesnt matter to me

Session 1
 

i always take the ice, and i <3> aspects as idk how he would respond to them. the last battle i never even hid so i just jumped around, typical halfling fighting stuff i would assume. i dont like to talk to strange people and i dont like being in the spotlight so i will continue staying in the corners and following the shiny man. if there r dice games or card games i would def b up for it since i would like to think that i am rather skilled at slight of hand tricks. if not, im chillin, waiting to go look for treasure. if we get paid to hunt kobolds i guess that wouldnt b a bad job either…

Session 1
 

Ok sounds about right… I would be interested to see you play a talkative role… lolz

Alright-e…

After Allendi finishes tending to the supplies he will gather up some of the monks and most of the new patrons to the Inn (the ones who are interested) and show them around the grounds.

The adventurer Kuryon built the Monastery of the Precipice to minister to those coming to Spellgard in search of prophecy. His larger reason for doing so remains unknown, but Allendi (the current master of the monastery) and the other monks believe that Kuryon was instructed to build the place by Lady Saharel when he met her 40 years ago. Kuryon and those volunteers he could recruit from among the seekers of Spellgard built the monastery stone by stone from the remains of the ruined fortress. The building is a mix of military fortifications and the stonework of a bygone age. Those who enter through the monastery’s arch are made welcome by the monks reading or tending the fire in the common room. Allendi explains that the purpose of the monastery is to “aid and comfort those who seek an answer from the Lady.” The common room has a warm fire, a small and eclectic library, and enough tables and chairs to seat forty. The cellar below the common room is a distillery stocked with dozens of barrels of the monastery’s fine whiskey. Allendi and the other monks live in subcellar quarters below the distillery. One wing leading from the common room contains two levels of modest apartments that the monks rent out for 1 gp per day. The other wing has a pantry and kitchen (serving porridge in the morning, stew in the evening). A cellar storeroom contains excavation and masonry equipment that the monks sell on behalf of the Gargengrim (dwarf) clan. Within the monastery is a simple courtyard containing apple trees and a stone marker that reads “Kuryon.” A ramshackle roof covers part of the courtyard; it is here that visitors on horseback stable their mounts.

He will also introduce a few of the monks, sister cherra, yannik johastra, brother Turnagall (human), thurr gargengrim (dwarf), rallio de vore (tiefling), oh and him over there (eladrin) he doesn’t talk much but he is nice enough The dark-eyed one will look up and smile as he takes a puff from his pipe.

Aaron: While in the midst of his tour Allendi will come up to Asimov and say Oh thats a good one, Master Kuron wrote that after his encounter with Lady Saharel. It has become something of a guide for those who seek her.

He will select a passage from it and read, you note the book is an abstract philosophical discourse on the nature of the future with a cycle of poems regarding prophecy and his meeting with Lady Saharel.

Session 1
 

Okay. I’ll pick a chair someplace off by myself and start flipping through/reading it.

Just want to say that I rather enjoy this play-by-post method. It really helps kill the time during long breaks between games. Makes me feel like I’m still playing the game even when I’m not. Though I do miss the general chaos and laughter that goes on during gamethyme.

Hayden, what’s <3> mean?

Session 1
 

21-22 works for me. the weekend after that is prolly out.

O’Grim, now sufficiently full from eating lunch. will wander close to the group when Allendi begins his little tour. His ears will perk up at the mention of the book the rag man is reading being some sort of guide to the ruins. He’ll wait until the “tour” is done. Then he’ll ask Allendi about the other camps in the area. Whether they too are made of pilgrims, or if they have less noble aims, such as lowly treasure hunting. (O’Grim will try to pass himself off as someone keenly interested in getting an audience with ghost lady in order to ask some private question and NOT the lowdown dirty treasure hunter he really is [at least in front of the monks that is])

Session 1
 

oh wow, i didnt even notice that. it originally said, i <3>

Session 1
 

haha i guess it doesnt like my abreviation, it deletes everything after it! haha well i love the rootbeer, and im “avoiding sneaky aspects…” cuz idk how the paladin will respond cuz of my previous experiences with them

Session 1
 

I could go either way on the ice, I do like it (maybe just bag some from home). I like coke and cream soda. Thanks man, thats why i keep the RP up. Plus it allows us to delve deeper into the world as well as kill some surface level RP. Game time is fun though.

Asimov: Yea you can do that, plenty of chair about. Its a kind of difficult read but you can start in. Leaf-pages, and a worn hardcover with a page length of about 90 pages.

Marik: Dont know what your doing yet

Speede: you succesfully chill

O’grim: Alledi will say, well there are quite a few people who are just here for “the money”, as he chuckles. He will walk you & a few others over to the large map on the wall pointing out a few places to avoid. Well a group of religious fanatics are camped just a shy south of the tower, and have been here for about 2 months. A clan of some brutish half-lings were camped north of here but we haven’t seen them in a few weeks. The Clewsoros are camped south of the northern rampart, a bunch of theives are swindlers are they, but they sometimes resourcefull enough for us to use their “help”. A clan of Dragonborns are camped far to the southeast and their leader Rannik just arived here last week, the rumor is they have captured someone who has seen Lady Saherel, but who knows. Oh and watch out for those kobolds, but they won’t bother you if you don’t bother them… mostly.

Finally, Alledi will address the all of the small crowd of people and say I know many of you are here for an audience and while I do hope you are graced with her presence, do not despair if she does not. There will always be a place for you to here. And under no circumstances, however grave your desire may be, should you try to enter her Scepter Tower. That is unless you do not value your life, as it is guarded by strong magic and sleepless guardian.

that should give you all some stuff to chew on…

Session 1
 

Well, eventually, we’re gonna want to enter that tower, so finding out about the magic and guarrdian would probably be a good idea. I wasn’t around to here that, so I can’t do that asking. Those groups sound delicious. We should investigate each and every one of them, in time. Especially the Dragonborn one who has “captured” someone who saw the ghost. However, we’ll probably need some experience before we do any real “hard” work. Is there someplace around where we can battle a bit?

As for the book I’m reading, Asimov is a bit of a snob and quite educated. “I” would probably not understand a word of it, but he might not have any trouble at all.

Session 1
 

i will follow the tour i suppose. if nothing catches my eye i will talk with the trinket man about building a party, and any downtime after that. back to work.

Session 1
 

And that gets me wondering… are there like catacombs around here or just the tower and surrounding ruins which the monastary is upon?

Session 1
 

Where you all head is up to you. If you ask for work, they will give you some of the honest kind, but somehow I feel you all are not about to do that… are you?

Trinket man??? oh hahaha just got it.

no catacombs, but their is a graveyard behind the main gate. the Tower is surrounded by a light mist and overgrown vegetation; along with the oval shaped ruins & the broken tower they are the only things that stand out.

Session 1
 

You know, I’ve been thinking… but have we introduced ourselves to each other yet? We were at the bar and maybe the dwarf and the paladin talked a bit but I dont’ know if they did. On the caravan the dwarf and I COULD have talked, but I slept (you know, until an arrow slammed into me.) and then we’re here. I know I havn’t had the “hey, my name is Asimov” speech yet with anyone, especially since I’ve been a bit mute and grumpy the whole trip. I thought the dwarf was going to get to that when he was trying to recruit me, but it didnt’ seem to come up. Just an idea I was thinking on while at work. Is that… odd, to anyone else? lol. Again, Asimov is not the kind to go up and ask so this will have to be started by someone else. I’m thinking the dwarf since he seems to have placed himself as group leader so far.

Session 1
 

well. i know we have not been introduced at all yet. that has been bothering me the whole time. i am so into the mindset of my character that i was worried you guys would leave without me. haha

Session 1
 

Got more minis!!! MMmmm…. drool

Session 1
 

Ooo, you didn’t happen to get a skullsplitter did you. If anyone were to buy minis online lemme know!

Session 1
 

Sorry, no. I’ll try to remember next time I go to get some. Though, I usually just buy the realy cheap ones. lol.

Session 1
 

well by the time we made it to the city our caravan basically consisted of us and the 2 guys driving it, so i would assume we met each other. especially after the few battles we had. its not like, “oh hey! thanks for saving my ass back there. c ya later!” and then go sit down next to them for the next 2 days… so if u r worried about formal introductions i think u r thinking too hard

Session 1
 

as far as where i want to go, i would like to go visit those “thieves” if we could, i’m sure they have lots of good stuff. maybe we should get some money first. so if we want money i say we go to the halflings (not to b confused with me, a “half-ling” (half-eladrin)). and i guess this is my OoG thinking but i would b surprised if we can just go find this lady saharel in like one adventure so chasing her all around the land isn’t really in my to-do list. maybe bash into her place after a little bit and make her come c us or sumthing, in the meantime i would like to b produdctive

Session 1
 

Well I was just thinking about how my guy’s a dick. He’s not really the talkative type, and since he doesn’t really feel ALL that comfortable with you guys yet he’d not be freely giving up information about himself. I agree that we can assume that we all know each other’s first names, but other than that (at least on my part) I think is still pretty much kept close to the chest. I had just been thinking about it and was wondering if any of you guys were wanting to RP that.

Session 1
 

As for the groups, I think we WILL be meeting them all and that each and every one will provide huge difficulties but we’ll be rewarded with nice shinies once we manage to get through them. ie, NOT DIE. I do agree that we need some money, though from Mike’s description there doesnt’ seem to be much around here. Not even any place to fight and to get stuff from. So I think our only real options are to decide which group we want to rub elbows with first. What were the groups again??? scrolls up to find it

Okay, the groups are: religious fanatics, “brutish” halflings (but are MIA for the moment) Clewsoros (whatever they are) these are the bunch of thieves I think you were talking about, those Dragonborns and their “captive” and then those kobolds. The halflings and the thieves I think Hayden could get us in close with, but the halflings are missing right now (maybe dead?) the Dragonborns and the Fanatics I think we should keep until later because they might be a handful to deal with. And the Kobolds… I dont’ think I remember quite how hard Kobolds are. If they’re relatively cake (hard to tell with Mike) then I say we “talk” with them and find out what they… have to offer. That way if they’re friendly, we get some needed info, but if they’re not (which I think they won’t be) we get some much needed exp, loot, and money. THEN we can go talk to the thieves, having either some new info to work with, or some more experience/loot if we need to fight, or some money if we need to bribe.

Session 1
 

kobolds just move around alot in combat. they can shift like 3 squares, but they have slingers and dragonsheilds who are kinda better. but i have a feeling that the small people are better to deal with first. rather than a bunch of dragonborns. lol. but my guy does not lead he just stands in front.

Session 1
 

lol. true. I see Josh being the group leader, but standing in the mid-back while he gives his orders. You standing in the front taking blows to the face. Hayden bouncing around like a Hobbit, stabbing backs and snatching purses. And then, me, somewhere way WAY in the back(hiding,) blasting things and yelling orders at people, and then getting mad when no one listens. lol. But hey, there’s not-leading and there’s giving an idea/suggestion for the leader. your character, while maybe not a leader himself, has a LOT of experience in battle as a paladin (enough to get free drinks, at least) so his imput is very important to the group. My guy just “thinks” he knows everything. lol. AND, even if he does know, he’ll let the group know and then expect someone other than himself to have to go and do it. But yeah, I vote for the Kobolds. Let’s see what the others have to say.

Session 1
 

I will post tomorrow and if you order mini i have some i would want to order and would pay for them, just lemme know. good to see you all posting!

Session 1
 

i vote halflings, if we find them maybe we get stuff, if we dont, we find out where they went, and then we get stuff. either way we get stuff… kobolds r for when we get bored

Session 1
 

Okay, that’s cool too. But how do we go about finding the little bastards? Do we just go about wandering the ruins? And what exactly does “brutish” mean? Are we going to be running across a pack of midget thugs?? also, we should probably find out the numbers of each group. Because while either the Kobolds or the Halfpack could be soft targets, if there’s twenty of them it could be… problematic.

Session 1
 

i assume the “brutish” halflings to b like barbarians? kinda like living off the land, touhg little buggers. not the tricky kind. but thats good cuz now we have a beasty meat shield

Session 1
 

Well whatever you decide, their is glory, exp, gold, and battle scars to be had.

I’m thinking 12:00 noon to 1:00pm start time this sunday.

Session 1
 

Can’t wait!

Session 1
 

I also say that the Kobolds are for when we get bored. O’Grim’s first priority is getting into that tower, and he’ll make that clear to his new “friends” i.e. the people he thinks he’s convincing to go on his little adventure in the form of bodyguards, but will probably grow to like as people soon enough. If the subject comes up, he’s not too keen on messing with a bunch of dragonborn if he doesn’t have to. I think an important part of any reconnaissance on any of these other groups is how many people we’re talking about. If the camp of thieves is 10 people, and the band of barbarian halflings is 30-strong, he might vote to go talk to the thieves first. Thieves are not so bad when you know them to be thieves. When you expect someone to lie, cheat and steal from you it kinda takes the advantage away from them. Anyway, noon to 1 this Sunday works for me.

Session 1
 

estimated group size if asked, ranniks = 10ish+ humans, darranos = 30ish, religous = 6-ish, clewsoros = 15-30, kobolds = un-numbered, Monastery 40-ish.

The time is set then for Sunday the 22nd at 12:00noon @ the Guardtower

Session 1
 

The other buildings in this small town are: 2 ramshackle huts about 20ft by 20ft, a small forge set close to the monastery, and small multi-purpose building part barn / part storage / part living quarters.

Session 1
 

Is it safe to assume that everything but the tower itself (since it’s “deadly” to enter it) has been already scavenged and picked clean?

Session 1
 

OoG – yes. Just the Monastery has been here for more than sixty years but…

The great treasures of Spellgard were taken from the place years ago, in the final days of Low Netheril when the fortress was sacked. However, rumors persist of undisturbed chambers there, and of ancient relics that have not seen the light of day for centuries.

Session 1
Verjaeger

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.